Most of the features of PWE band solver were demonstrated in Lessons 11 and 12.
In this tutorial we apply the solver to a 3D problem of a fcc (face centered cubic) and diamond lattices of spherical air balls suspended in a dielectric medium. Such structures have been intensively studied in the past . The fcc structure is known to lack a full photonic bandgap, whereas the diamond lattice, as first reported by Ho, Chan and Soukoulis in 1990, have a complete photonic band gap.
1. FCC Lattice of Air Spheres Suspended in Dielectric
• Create the Structure in Layout Designer
• Set Parameters of PWE Band Solver
• Run Simulation and Analyze Results
2. Diamond Lattice of Air Spheres Suspended in Dielectric
• Design the Lattice Structure
• Set Parameters and Run Simulation