Optical fiber is an important component of a device used for making fiber directional couplers and for launching and receiving light from an integrated optical waveguide In a device where a small length of fiber is used, the only characteristics needed to simulate for a fiber are the effective mode indices and mode field profiles.
This lesson describes how to use the 3D Mode Solver to design and characterize step index optical fibers.
Before you start this lesson
• Familiarize yourself with the procedures in Lesson 1: Getting Started.
The procedures are:
• Defining the materials
• Creating the SMF-28 fiber profile
• Defining the layout settings
• Creating the linear waveguide
• Setting the simulation parameters
• Viewing the refractive index distribution (X-Y cut)
• Calculating the mode