Home Forums SYSTEM Speed of Optical network

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

Hi All

Can anybody please suggest me the means by which i can check how fast my system is. is it simulation tym or actually we have some analyzer by which we can get what time does a signal take in going from transmitter to receiver side.

alistu
      Participant

Hi Burhan,

The time it takes from signal to be transmitted in the system is highly dependent on the components used in the system, especially electrical components which may take more time to respond comparatively. To know exactly how long it may take, you must knwo the delay caused by the practical components.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi Burhan.
      To see how fast your system is you need to analyze the delays associated with each component.
      Depending on the component and its theoretical model, some of the devices may or may not have an associated delay. Please refer to the link for further understanding.

Calculating Delay of Optical Devices [Optical System]

Regards

Hi All

Alistu yeah i actually thought that there might be a component as such to calculate the delay of a system as a whole. But i believe now that we need to calculate it on individual component delay basis.
      Aabid yeah this link seems helpful and as u have rightly mentioned that there is no component as such to do that.But indeed there are methods to calculate the delay.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi Burhan num mina llah,
        You are welcome. I would suggest you to go for component delay analysis. Well, as far as your requirement is concerned, i think simulation time could play a role but right now i don’t know how but if you develop a relation between simulation time and the delay of the overall system , i guess it could help.
        Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..

It is a nice query being posed by Burhan.

Well I think if we try to relate the simulation time and the speed of network, it would be vague. It is because, if there are more no. of components in our system , the simulation time would be high.. but if these components are connected in parallel , no significant propagation delay can be attributed to these. I hope I have explained clearly.

I think there is an option of propagation delay in components of the Optisystem. I’ll have to check that again before commenting further on this option.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi naazira,
        Well i think we have already discussed that more no of components does not necessarily mean more simulation time in the previous topic but yeah we may or may not relate simulation time with speed of network.Anyway , You mentioned of connecting components in parallel but i don’t think we actually can do it because of our requirements ( like we cannot connect fiber and amplifier in parallel and so on because it won’t serve our purpose there). There must be something which could help us in calculating speed of network but in one way or other it is related to delay associated with each component.
        Regards

Hi All

Aabid i believe Naazira is right in saying so because simulation time cannot be related to delay of overall system. Naazira i would like to know from u that how is possible to calculate this propagation delay. Is this parameter in the ccomponents itself or we have to attach some analyzer component in order get the delay of that component.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi Burhan num mina llah,
        I too am not sure but as i said we might or might not be able to relate speed to simulation time. But as far as delay of components is concerned, i don’t think we have any delay calculating component in the component library. I guess you need to develop one.

regards

Hi Aabid

I don’t think Naazira is trying to say that. I understood what she meant. She means to say that we cannot relate simulation time with number of components per se, because propagation delay in practical systems is increased by connecting the components in series and not just by increasing the number of components.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Yes burhan true that propagation delay does increase when connecting components in series but we don’t have an option here. So, delay will remain associated with our systems and would thus affect the speed of propagation.
        Anyway let us see how can be it possible to calculate delays.
        Thanks and regards

Hi Aabid Baba

yeah we need to search for means to calculate delays as Damian has rightly mentioned in that post, link odf which u mentioned abouve in your previous comment. He has given few methods to calculate delays and i feel so far we can try them to get our job done.
      Anyways thanks a lot.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi burhan num mina llah,
        you are welcome, always..!
        If we could calculate delays of components and somehow determine the speed of the network , it can really be a bonus to our research interests.
        I hope sooner than soon , we would be able to do it. Hopefully!
        Regards

Hi Aabid Baba

yeah that would really make much things simpler and save a lot of time and resources. As we would just have a component to calculate that for the whole of our system designs and models. I hope it comes sooner and make things better and lead to better optimization of resources. This is something in real demand. Hope!

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Yes burhan num mina llah,
        I feel a component should be in cooperated in the component library which could directly calculate delay associated with the component just like as power meters and WDM analyzers. Though problem remains about calculating overall speed of the network and it continue to remain so unless and until a mathematical model can be developed to do so. Hope somewhere down the line , we see it.
        regards

Hi Aabid..

Hope this problem is solved as soon as possible. Hope to see such component in the optisystem 14.1 which might come in few months.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi burhan num mina llah,
        where did you read about this new version release?
        has optiwave updated it somewhere on their website..i would like to look at it.. please share the link if so.
        Thanking you in advance.
        best regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aabid and Burhan..
      Yes, I meant what Burhan has understood.
      And when I mentioned that I think there was an option in components to check the delay.. I was talking about the FSO channel. I checked it again. There is an option ‘propagation delay’..which lets take into consideration the delay between Transmitter and Receiver.
      I hope this gives an idea about what I was saying.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi naazira,
        Well I have also come across the delay propagation parameter shown in some of the components in the Optisystem component library but i guess it can be helpful only if we can be able to relate to overall propagation of the system design and moreover with the speed of the optical network. It is challenging but interesting and i hope somebody is able to do it.
        Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

hi Aabid..
      sure it is interesting.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Yeah it definitely is.
      In fact it is one of my research interests and i really want it to implement using optisystem tool only.

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Oh that’s great Aabid.
      All the best. (y)

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Thank you 🙂

Hi All

Aabid that is really nice if we have such component in any of the versions of Optisystem . It would be really helpful in my case. As i have to calculate and analyse how fast my system is in two different conditions when in one case i include packet switching and in the other i just work with optical or circuit switching.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        I second you because that is what your requirement is. Can you please explain what exactly are you trying to do???
        As far as what i understood is that you are comparing two switching techniques for same optical network..am i right???
        I would appreciate if you please elaborate on your research interest. It seems pretty interesting.
        Regards

Hi Aabid Baba

Thanks for asking.
      I am working on a project that would initially take the signal or message through a domain of packet switching and then in between there would be a circuit switching part consisting of optical switches and then again packet switch.. And i want all of this network to be ultimately controlled by and SDN controller which obviously i am working on to be programmed in matlab.. And since we have SDN controller i cannot use an ordinary ethernet switch i have to use an openflow switch which would easily exchange messages with SDN controller.. And this SDN controller would communicate with the optical part of my network through an interface.
      Thats all i could summarize about my project. I hope i could convey it rightly.

Regards

Burhan

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello burhan num mina llah,
        What i understood from your discussions is that you are designing a software defined network. I got your point very well as far as explanation is concerned.
        i would like to ask you here that what impact does your design have ?? advantages i would rather say.. This i guess is the operation of how your design is going to work but what are the pros of your design… Can you share some information?

Regards

hi all,
      It is a good discussion going on here….The speed of network indeed is a prime factor in branch of communication or for that matter any component….I understand from the discussion that different methods or ways hav been suggested by u & i want to also calculate speed of my network so we better find a way of doing that.
      thanks and regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi all,
        Yes of course it Speed of the network is an important consideration. We have been discussing it but no one has come up with an idea yet.
        Also as fayiqa mentioned that some components have initial delay parameter but i have not seen most of components with this parameter. As far as i remember , if you tap on the simulation window there is one option initial delay but it for bidirectionality. Anyways lets hope we do get this problem solved.
        Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa..

Yes, it is a healthy discussion. Speed of the network is an important consideration. Actually, it is being quantified by the propagation delay. So if we could calculate/evaluate that, we could solve our problem to a good approximation.

Regards.

hi Naazira.
        Indeed. Ok i presume then we should calculate delays occurring in each and every component we use….i think we are able to choose delay in sm components…i hv come across propagation delay parameter in some components i hv used so far….that might help in calculating overall delay of the network..
        thanks and regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Yes, Fayiqa..

Like I said earlier, in FSO channel..there is this ‘propagation delay’ which says the delay between transmitter and receiver.

Regards.

Ok. i was not aware about FSO….i have not worked on FSO yet..
        anyways thanks

Naazira Badar
      Participant

YOU ARE WELCOME, Fayiqa.. : D

Regards.

Hi Aabid

Regarding your query i would say that this network on which i am working would provide the following advantages in comparison to optical network or ethernet network individually.
      1) since we have nowadays data centric nodes so for that good speed is provided by the optical part of my network but in addition to it we would require error free recovery of messages and that is provided by ethernet part.
      2) Coming to resource optimization , since in any ordinary network we would just program our nodes to route the packets through a definite path but when we have SDN at our disposal we can reroute the traffic in accordance to the demand and less conjusted path and make use of those nodes which would have stayed idle if the conventional path was followed.
      3) It also helps in cost reduction of networks as in ordinary networks if we want our traffic to follow a new path we have to install all the infrastructure all over again, but when we add SDN to our optical networks we can program the existing networks.
      I hope you got the idea about the advantages of SDON( Software Defined Optical Networks).

Best Regards

Burhan

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi all..

It is a nice query being posed by Burhan.

Well I think if we try to relate the simulation time and the speed of network, it would be vague. It is because, if there are more no. of components in our system , the simulation time would be high.. but if these components are connected in parallel , no significant propagation delay can be attributed to these. I hope I have explained clearly.

I think there is an option of propagation delay in components of the Optisystem. I’ll have to check that again before commenting further on this option.

Regards

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.