Home Forums GENERAL Receiver Sensitivity

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

HI EVERYONE…
      I have a query regarding receiver sensitivity..if our receiver sensitivity is -30 dbm does that mean that our receiver can pick signals whose power levels are upto -30 dbm..and in case we make the receiver sensitivity equal to -100 dbm will that mean i am increasing the receiver sensitivity or decreasing receiver sensitivity..i wud appreciate ur help..
      Thanks and regards
      fayiqa naqshbandi

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello fayiqa,
      Well you are right whatever you have mentioned above. The receiver sensitivity parameter is an important factor and you have put it right because it is an average power required for the receiver to respond or show any results. And for your query about putting sensitivity equal to -100 dBm from -30 dBm means that the receiver requires less power to detect a signal because -100 is more negative means less amount of power requires. I hope you find it helpful.
      Regards

+5
      MHD NA
      Participant

The receiver sensitivity parameter is an important factor and you have put it right because it is an average power required for the receiver to respond or show any results.

HI AABID
      Thank you for replying.. I got it but can you tell me what is the minimum and maximum value of receiver sensitivity we can use for our design..I mean what actually is the permissible value of the receiver sensitivity..there must be some standard value for optical receivers upto which they are able to read signals..In optisystem 14 the default receiver sensitivity is taken as -30 dbm..and i think it might be around the standard value..
      Thanks and regards

+5
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa Naqshbandi..

The larger the absolute negative value, better is the sensitivity. I.e -100 dBm sensitivity is way way better than -30 dBm. In other words, much less signal power is required in the former case to be detected by the receiver than in the latter case. I hope I am clear. All the best. (y)

Regards.

Naazira.

+2

HI NAAZIRA BADAR
        Thanks for replying…i got it very well..thanks for helping but i still am doubtful about the standard values for receiver sensitivity which are being used in designing a particular system…be it the minimum value or the maximum value..I hope u understand what i am trying to say..I generally take the default value set as -30 but there must be some logic why -30..
        Thanks and regards

+2
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      I agree with naazira here. She is right in saying that larger the absolute negative value, better is the sensitivity. But well as far as fayiqa’s query about permissible minimum and maximum values of receiver sensitivity is concerned , i feel that it would strongly depend on the type of system you are implementing. If your requirement is detecting a particular signal then you may make your system more sensitive to that particular signal or wavelength only hence selecting more negative value and vice versa. I hope you got my point.
      Regards

+4

HI AABID
        Thanks for replying and ur efforts…i appreciate.
        Well to some extent it is true and certainly i does depend on the applications and implications of the system we are designing… and what i think is that it will depend on the application actually for which we are using our system..i can be as per the application part that we choose the receiver sensitvity..
        Thanks and regards

+2
          Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hello fayiqa,
          I completely agree with the point you are making here. It does indeed depend on the application of the design you are implementing. In my case if you ask me i would prefer to choose the receiver sensitivity value very high and make my receiver receiver less sensitive to noise and other unwanted signals which means i would prefer -30 dBm sensitivity than -100 dBm. i hope you understand.
          Regards

+6

HELLO AABID..
          Thanks for replying..I agree with you.. I understood that but what remains to be answered is the way to determine how to set or take the value for receiver sensitivity..no doubt the application of the design is equally important factor to decide the values of receiver sensitivity… Hopefully we get some idea to undrstand it..
          Thanks anyways

+1
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello all,

I completely agree with aabid baba as far as fayiqa’s query about permissible minimum and maximum values of receiver sensitivity is concerned, i also believe that it would strongly depend on the type of system you are implementing.Thanks aabid for your efforts and valuable information..Your efforts are highly appreciated..

Regards

Sahil Singh

+4
        Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi sahil,
        you are welcome. Cheers!

HI SAHIL SINGH
        Thanks for ur suggestion.. Both replies from aabid and naazira were explanatory and helpful..
        THanks & regards

+1
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa Naqshbandi,

You are welcome…

Regards

Sahil Singh

+1
      Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      I agree with naazira here. She is right in saying that larger the absolute negative value, better is the sensitivity. But well as far as fayiqa’s query about permissible minimum and maximum values of receiver sensitivity is concerned , i feel that it would strongly depend on the type of system you are implementing. If your requirement is detecting a particular signal then you may make your system more sensitive to that particular signal or wavelength only hence selecting more negative value and vice versa. I hope you got my point.
      Regards

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hello fayiqa,
      Well you are right whatever you have mentioned above. The receiver sensitivity parameter is an important factor and you have put it right because it is an average power required for the receiver to respond or show any results. And for your query about putting sensitivity equal to -100 dBm from -30 dBm means that the receiver requires less power to detect a signal because -100 is more negative means less amount of power requires. I hope you find it helpful.
      Regards

pooja rawat
      Participant

Hi all
      I wish to know what is the maximum and minimum value of receiver sensitivity that we can use for our systems in optisystem.

+2

HELLO POOJA,
      If you go through the previous replies you will find that receiver sensitivity will be determined by the need of the system implementation.. You can see that we have discussed that it is the application that will decide the values selected for the sensitivity …If you want your receiver to be less sensitive then choose low negative value else higher negative value. I hope this will help you in getting some idea.

Regards
      Fayiqa

+1
      pooja rawat
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa
      Thank you for responding. I think i got a little idea about it. But still is there any limit on choosing the minimum and maximum values for receiver sensitivity. I tried to google but could not get any specific values. Please help if you can.

Thanks
      Regards

+3

HI POOJA,
      I think first chose the topic for the discussion. This way i have to post at both places. Better if we carry on your posted query.

Thanks & regards
      Fayiqa

pooja rawat
      Participant

Sure.

Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi pooja,

I agree with fayiqa,She is right in mentioning that if you want your receiver to be less sensitive then choose low negative value else higher negative value. Hope this helps..

Regards
      Ankita

pooja rawat
      Participant

Hi Ankita.

Thank you for your concern. I guess i got it. I shall see accordingly now.

Regards

Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi Pooja,

You are welcome and I am glad to know that your query has been resolved on the forum…
      All the Best

Regards
      Ankita

pooja rawat
      Participant

Thanks Ankita 🙂

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Fayiqa,

The responsivity of a photodetector is usually expressed in units of either amperes or volts per watt of incident radiant power.

R = Eta* lambda (in micrometer)/1.24
      eta is the quantum efficiency.
      It is the ratio of output current or voltage to Radiation power input to photodiode.

Seeking your response.

+3
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.