Home Forums FIBER Optical Amplifiers

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Zakarya Saidi
      Participant

Hi all,

I want to know what the difference when using an EDFA Amplifier and Raman Amplifier and YDPA(Ytterbium), Is there any influence in the results that would be obtained ?, I wanna compare the behavior of some advanced modulation formats with the use of those different Amplifiers.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi zakarya,
      Amplifier (Booster), to increase the output power at the beginning of the link

Pre-Amplifier (PreAmp), high input sensitivity. Increasing the power level at the end of the transmission line according to receiver sensitivity

Inline-Amplifier, to compensate the attenuation of the link

RAMAN-Amplifier, increasing of the power level, at the end of the link by using the Raman scattering. Amplification is achieved with improved OSNR behavior and reduction of nonlinear effects.

EDFA (Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier) principle

EDFAs use a pump laser (980 nm or 1480 nm) to bring up electrons to a higher energy level. If signal amplification is achieved by emitted photons of the same signal wavelength with the help of stimulated emission.

Wavelength: C-Band and L-Band
      Amplification 20 – 40 dB
      Output power: 14 – 23 dBm

RAMAN-amplifier principle

A Raman amplifier is using the effect of Raman scattering. For this purpose, light with high power and a corresponding wavelength is pumped into the fiber. Is the incoming wavelength within the Raman gain spectrum an amplification of light is enabled.

Wavelength area: 1300 – 1600 nm
      Amplification: 10 – 15 dB

− Neodymium and Ytterbium Fiber Amplifiers
      Fiber amplifiers based on ytterbium- or neodymium-doped double-clad fibers can be used to boost the output power of 1-μm laser sources to very high levels of up to several kilowatts (→ high-power fiber lasers and amplifiers). The broad gain bandwidth is also suitable for the amplification of ultrashort pulses (→ ultrafast amplifiers); limitations arise from fiber nonlinearities such as the Kerr effect and Raman effect (see below). Single-frequency signals can also be amplified to high powers; in this case, stimulated Brillouin scattering usually sets the limits.

Neodymium-based amplifiers can also be used in the 1.3-μm spectral region, but with less favorable performance

with regards

+2
      umer syed
      Participant

hi all,

a very detailed solution provided by the asif bashir dar

i appreciate his response

with regards

Zakarya Saidi
      Participant

Hi Aasif ,
      Much Thank for all those Information.I’m using those Amplifiers at the end of the link. and just wanna ask if Anyone knows whether there is a difference in term of EYE DIAGRAM of some modulation formats like (CSRZ, DRZ, MDRZ, RZ,…) or not

With Regards

HI ZAKARYA..

As the theoretical perspective has been already explained by aasif bashir dar..i would like to add that as far as i have observed if u compare the results between using EDFA and raman amplifier the results are better with raman amplifier and the reason maybe the gain flattering phenomena in raman amplifier and usage of external pump…but i have no idea about YDPA as i have not used it..i hope it will be helpful..
      Thanks & regards

+9

Hi zakarya

As aasif has very well explained the different amplifier that u can employ and fayiqa has put a simulating perspective of the same. In regards to ur next query i would say that certainly there is a difference between the above formats and it would depend on the system design overall that would show some differences in the eye diagram. You better implement them in the same system design to see the difference. I hope you got me.

Regards

Burhan

+12
      SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Zakarya,

Indeed great effrts put by aasif to explain the uses of different types of amplifiers… As far as the practical design is concerned i agree with fayiqa naqshbandi that if u compare the results obtained using EDFA amplifier to the results obtained using raman amplifier the results are better with raman amplifier and the reason as rightly mentioned maybe the gain flattering phenomena in raman amplifier..

Thanks & regards

Sahil Singh

+5
      Zakarya Saidi
      Participant

HI burhan num mina llah & SAHIL SINGH
      Much Thanks , I hope that I can get good simulation about what you all have said

Best Regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Zakarya Saidi,

You are welcome anytime and this forum is aimed for helping eachother and sharing our knowledge… I hope that your simulation works well this time around..

Regards

Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi evryone.. i want to know the difference between the different amplifiers present in the optical library of the optical amplifiers.. i hv seen many papers and examples using either edfa or raman amplifier or optical amplifier..nw my confusion is which optical amplifier to use bcz thr r many amplifiers in that folder..so plz help in that..

ZULKARNAIN
        Participant

hi jyoti..
        i think the same question was put by some on other post on the forum.You should refer the same.
        i am attaching the link of the same post. hope it helps….

Amplifiers

with regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Jyoti raina,

As suggested previously i think raman amplifier will work the best because the results are better with raman amplifier and the reason maybe the gain flattering phenomena in raman amplifier and usage of external pump as correctly mentioned by fayiqa… Hope it helps…

Thanks & regards

Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
        Spectator

hellloo sahil singh..thanx for ur reply.
        i am designing a system for 150 km.. i am confused whether to use optical amplifiers within the optical libray or the edfa.. bcz i read many posts whr it has been mentioned dat optical amplifiers hv good performance..
        so i am a bit confused which amplifier to use optical or others like edfa or raman amplifier etc..
        thanx anyway

+3
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      EDFAs could be used in a single or double stage setup in metro, long haul, and ULH networks; while Raman amplifiers for LH & ULH systems. The advantages of using the EDFA double stage setup are:
      · Providing high gain/low noise at the first stage with980nm pump laser (low NF) and high power output on the 1480nm pump laser second stage
      ·Ability to place a loss element (DCU, OADM, gain flattening amplifier) between the stages without degrading the overall performance effectively
      · Redundancy

The critical consideration in using RAMAN is the requirement to provide amplification in the S & U bands. However, the associated challenges are: requiring high & constant pumping power level (producing nonlinearities) and crosstalk among wavelengths.

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      Fiber amplifiers based on ytterbium- or neodymium-doped double-clad fibers can be used to boost the output power of 1-μm laser sources to very high levels of up to several kilowatts (→ high-power fiber lasers and amplifiers). The broad gain bandwidth is also suitable for the amplification of ultrashort pulses (→ ultrafast amplifiers); limitations arise from fiber nonlinearities such as the Kerr effect and Raman effect (see below). Single-frequency signals can also be amplified to high powers; in this case, stimulated Brillouin scattering usually sets the limits.

Neodymium-based amplifiers can also be used in the 1.3-μm spectral region, but with less favorable performance figures.

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet Kumar,

Thanks for providing the information… I indeed appreciate your eforts…

Regaeds

SAHIL SINGH

+1
      Zakarya Saidi
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet Kumar

Great Thanks for your efforts and your valuable information

thanks again

Hi Zakarya Saidi

you are welcome. such discussion are meant to learn and teach and highly appreciated.

Regards

Burhan

+1
      Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

You are most welcome Sahil singh and Zakarya Saidi.
      For your kind appreciation , i keep sharing important information when needed.

Naazira Badar
      Participant

hi zakariya saidi..

A nice discussion so far indeed. Well the amplifiers differ in their operating principle and gain limits as well.
      you can go through the following link to understand better. :
      http://www.fiber-optic-tutorial.com/comparison-of-different-optical-amplifiers.html

I hope you get benefitted. All the best.

Regards
      Naazira

+2
      Zakarya Saidi
      Participant

HI Naazira Badar,

Indeed , it’s very interesting link much thanks for your considered help.

Regards

Tung Tran Van
      Participant

In theory, Raman amplifier’s NF is small (or even negative), but in the sample .osd file, NF is very high. How to reduce it to resemble theory???

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant
      Ankita Sharma
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for providing such useful information about thr difference between various types of amplifiers particularly EDFA Amplifier and Raman Amplifier…
      Thanks & Regarda

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

hi zakarya,
      Amplifier (Booster), to increase the output power at the beginning of the link

Pre-Amplifier (PreAmp), high input sensitivity. Increasing the power level at the end of the transmission line according to receiver sensitivity

Inline-Amplifier, to compensate the attenuation of the link

RAMAN-Amplifier, increasing of the power level, at the end of the link by using the Raman scattering. Amplification is achieved with improved OSNR behavior and reduction of nonlinear effects.

EDFA (Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier) principle

EDFAs use a pump laser (980 nm or 1480 nm) to bring up electrons to a higher energy level. If signal amplification is achieved by emitted photons of the same signal wavelength with the help of stimulated emission.

Wavelength: C-Band and L-Band
      Amplification 20 – 40 dB
      Output power: 14 – 23 dBm

RAMAN-amplifier principle

A Raman amplifier is using the effect of Raman scattering. For this purpose, light with high power and a corresponding wavelength is pumped into the fiber. Is the incoming wavelength within the Raman gain spectrum an amplification of light is enabled.

Wavelength area: 1300 – 1600 nm
      Amplification: 10 – 15 dB

− Neodymium and Ytterbium Fiber Amplifiers

Neodymium-based amplifiers can also be used in the 1.3-μm spectral region, but with less favorable performance

with regards

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.