Home Forums SYSTEM DCF

DCF

Profile Photo
(joined April 2014)
Participant

Good day, please can you tell me how to configure references the parameters of a DCF according to this network in annex

Responses (42):

Profile Photo
      Heitor Galvao
      Participant

Many thanks Vignes excellent book
      my compliments

Dr Rk Sethi
      Participant

It has been observed that dispersion of a standard single mode fiber (SMF)is lowest at 1300 nm, whereas it has minimum attenuation at 1550 nm. But at 1500 nm wave length the dispersion is higher. The problem of dispersion can be compensated by inserting an element that imposes dispersion on the optical signal that is opposite (negative) to that imposed by optical fiber. Most common is the use of the dispersion compensation fiber (DCF), with strong negative dispersion, placed at regular intervals along the link It can actually reverse the effects of dispersion suffered by 1550 nm signals that traverse standard single-mode fiber. But it has the disadvantage of high cost, physical size, signal delay and lack of adaptability. The attenuation of the DCF requires additional optical amplifiers, which introduce additional optical noise.

+2
      Profile Photo
      Ravil
      Participant

Hi Rk Sethi,

Do you have an idea how often DCFs are used for dispersion compensation in the way you described above? In other words, is it still common application of DCF now-days when DBGs and electronic compensation is widely used?

Dr Rk Sethi
      Participant

The physical characteristics of dispersion & the resulting signal distortion have been studied extensively and different techniques for the dispersion compensation have been reported. There are several different methods that can be used to compensate for dispersion, including DCF, chirped Bragg gratings, all-pass optical filters and optical phase conjugation. These methods restore the signal such that it can be received in a normal receiver.
      An alternative method is to detect the dispersed signal and perform the dispersion compensation electrically.
      Fiber Bragg grating (FBG), which is widely used in wavelength filtering and smart sensing devices has become a very important technique for making tunable dispersion compensators. Ken-ichi Kitayama et al. in have investigated both theoretically and experimentally the dispersion effect of FBG used as the filter on DWDM millimeter-wave optical signal transmissions.

Profile Photo
      Ravil
      Participant

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, Rk Sethi!

Just wanted to clarify one moment:
      what is the main advantage of DCF dispersion compensation in comparison with other techniques?

Profile Photo
        alistu
        Participant

The main advantage?Just being “straightforward”!
        Using DCF, you just need to calculate fiber dispersion and use DCF to compensate the cumulative amount of dispersion caused by the line.

Profile Photo
          Ravil
          Participant

Thanks for your answer Alistu, I was trying to find out the advantages of DCF vs DBG or electronic compensation (this method became very popular lately). As far as I found out from other sources:
          1. DBG can’t cover such a wide range as DCF
          2. Electronic compensation makes receiver more complicated and can be too costy.
          Please, add/correct me if I’m wrong.

Dr Rk Sethi
      Participant

Welcome Ravil

Profile Photo
      Heitor Galvao
      Participant
      Profile Photo
      Ravil
      Participant

Rk Sethi, Thanks for your detailed explanation again!

Login You must be logged in to reply to this topic.